by kind permission of
Mrs Cherry Leversedge
School for poor children
In 1863 a ragged school was set up by local curates for the poor
children of the town, and the "Iron School" - as it
was known locally - was constructed in 1865 off Mill Lane to
house this early initiative.
Lady Brydges of Boultibrooke, who was very much involved with
the management of the later National School, supported the establishment
and it seems to have been regarded as a Church School.
When the National School was
established, the Iron School continued as an infant department
until closure in 1892. After this closure the redundant structure
was removed to Bennets Ground at Boultibrooke.