Originally known as the Park of Cillelan it has been in the hands of the Dukes of Beaufort for much of its existence. The present house was built by architect T.H. Wyatt in 1838 at the commission of the duke of that time, and later in the century was let to George Frederick William Miles, the son of a Somerset M.P. Miles had made a fortune in Jamaica before moving to Llangattock and settling into the life of a country gentleman. He served Breconshire as a Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant and was a churchwarden in the parish of Llangattock.
In 1906 the house was extended and modernised and afterwards used as a summer residence by the Dukes of Beaufort.
Select below for information and images on other local estates -
Return to The Local Estates title page
Return to the Crickhowell Introductory Page
Text and documentation supplied by Powys County Council Archive Office