Translator of the Bible
William Morgan was born at Ty Mawr in the parish of Penmachno.
He attended St Johns College, Cambridge and was ordained
in 1568. He held many livings in a long career, including
Welshpool, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Llanfyllin, and Pennant Melangell.
While at Welshpool and Llanrhaeadr he worked on his translation
of the Bible into Welsh. In the latter parish he became involved
in a quarrel with Evan Meredith of the family of Lloran Uchaf,
which eventually led to legal battles in the Court of the Star
Chamber and the Council of the Marches.
In his great work of translation he was supported and encouraged
by Archbishop Whitgift, and by the Welshman, Gabriel Goodman,
Dean of Westminster, who provided him with accommodation in London
so that Morgan could oversee the final stages of preparation
of his Bible. This was published in late 1588 and was to prove
of huge importance not only to the success of the Reformation
in Wales, but also to sustaining of Welsh literature.
In 1595 William Morgan became bishop of Llandaff and in 1601
he moved to the wealthier see of St Asaph. Here he was active
in encouraging preaching, and the rebuilding of derelict churches.
To support this renewal he was vigorous in his defence of church
property and incomes in the diocese, which led him into conflict
with local landowner Sir John Wynn.