Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Swansea Canal
Transport
 
  The canal at Ystradgynlais  
 

Though much of the route of the Swansea Canal still survives, the northern section at Ystradgynlais has been replaced by a new road, shown in the colour photograph at the bottom of this page.

The Swansea
Canal at
Ystradgynlais
in the 1970s

 

Canal at Ystradgynlais Map section
Pelican Street, Ystradgynlais, on a map of the 1870s above, and a photograph of the 1970s left.
Photograph above is from the collection of the late
John Morris
of Ystradgynlais.

 

The 1970s photograph above shows Pelican Street on "The Island" at Ystradgynlais, between the Swansea Canal and the River Tawe. Local people are standing on the little bridge over the canal, which is hidden by bushes. The river runs in the valley behind the houses at the top of the photograph.
The last boats carrying commercial goods on this canal went out of business in 1931, but there are plans to restore the waterway between Swansea and Ystalfera for leisure use.
This road through Ystradgynlais was
built over part of the Swansea Canal
 

Much of the line of the canal at Ystradgynlais was converted into a bypass road for the town, (photo above right) so the northern part of the route has been permanently lost.

Back to Swansea Canal menu

 

Back to top
Go to Ystradgynlais menu
RDR