Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Presteigne
School life
 
More about...
The National School in Presteigne  
 

The National School for boys got its brand new premises in Scottleton Street, Presteigne in 1869 on land provided by Sir Harford James Jones Brydges.

Local girls attended the Greenfield School.

 
 

Boys of the National School

Photograph by kind permission of
Mrs Cherry Leversedge
of Presteigne
 

All the Presteigne schools had difficulties establishing themselves.

As late as 1905, a local teacher complained that there were many local children "who apparently went nowhere as they could be seen about the street at all hours during the day".

Back to Presteigne schools menu

 

 
Back to top
Go to Presteigne menu