Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Presteigne
School life
 
More about...
The Iron School in Presteigne
Glossary
 

A new building, the "Iron School" - as it was known locally - was constructed in 1865 off Mill Lane to house the school for poor children in Presteigne.

redundant - no longer needed.
 
  The Iron School building
Photograph by kind permission of
Mrs Cherry Leversedge
of Presteigne
 

Lady Brydges, of Boultibrooke, was very much involved with the management of the school.
When the National School was established, the older children moved there and the Iron School continued as an infant department until it closed in 1892.
After this the redundant old building was removed to Bennets Ground at Boultibrooke
.

Back to Presteigne schools menu

 

 
Back to top
Go to Presteigne menu