Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Presteigne
in Victorian times
 
  The school builders  
 

This old photograph from the Victorian period in Presteigne shows some of the workers involved in the building of the new John Beddoes School in the town.
The new school was opened in 1899, at the end of Queen Victoria's reign. It was built on the site of the Radnorshire County Gaol which closed in 1878.

Photograph by kind permission of
Mrs Cherry Leversedge
of Presteigne
John Beddoes
School
Presteigne
1898
 

The men who helped to build the new school have lined up to have their picture taken, with many of them holding the tools of their trade.
It is interesting to see that horses which would have been used to haul the heavy stone and timber used for the building have also been included in the picture !
The lady (with her bicycle !) and gentleman on the right may have been teachers at the school.

Back to Presteigne picture menu

 

 
Back to top
Go to Presteigne menu
RDR