Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
School life
  John Beddoes School

The school was founded in 1565 by John Beddoes, a man from a wealthy Ludlow merchant family with property on both sides of the border.
The school was set up to provide a grammar school education for the sons of local businessmen.
Over the years it occupied various buildings and by the 1870's part at least of the school was in a house called The Vine in St David's Street, Presteigne.

boarders - boys who live in school lodgings or 'board' there.

Staff and boys outside the Vine

Photograph by kind permission of
Mrs Cherry Leversedge
of Presteigne

The photograph above shows the Headmaster, Mr Woodrow and boarders outside The Vine in 1872.

More about John Beddoes' School...


Back to top
Go to Presteigne menu