Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Newtown and district
Victorian maps
 
  Newtown in 1845  
 

The map below is based on a detail from the tithe map for Newtown parish and it gives us a picture of the town in the early years of Queen Victoria's reign. Look below to find out more.

 

TITHE MAPS
In Victorian times almost everyone had to pay tithes to the Church of England. At the beginning of the reign the tithe became a tax on your property. The maps were drawn to see what property everybody had
  1. Newtown Hall. At this time it was the home of the Rev. George Evors. He was an important man in the town owning many properties including the gardens you can see marked 18 and 19 at the bottom of the map. He also built flannel mills and helped to develop the industry.  
  2. The old Market Hall stood in the middle of Broad Street. Like the market halls in Rhayader and Llandrindod it was built in quieter times when the towns were smaller and there was not much wheeled traffic.  
  3. At the major road junction at the entrance to the town stands the timber yard of Edward Morgans.  
  4. The new church of St David which was being constructed at this time. The old church of St Mary's on the bank of the Severn was falling into a bad state and as the population of the town was rising fast a new church was needed.  
  5. The Flannel Exchange by the Long Bridge. This was built as a market for woven cloth in 1833. At the time this tithe map was made the industry was going through a bad patch. This was hard on the weavers who had difficulty selling the cloth they had woven.  
 

Back to the Newtown maps menu

Back to top
Go to Newtown menu