Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Newtown and district
Victorian views
 
  Over the Long Bridge in Newtown  
 

This is another interesting early view of the Long Bridge and of Broad Street in Newtown. Although the picture is undated it was probably taken around 1901 from the Penygloddfa side of the River Severn. The Clock Tower given to the town in 1900 is a bold landmark at the far end of Broad Street.

 
Long Bridge
and Broad
Street
around 1901
Long Bridge, Newtown
 

Beyond the river bridge, in Broad Street, the first building on the left is the Elephant and Castle Hotel. This old coaching inn is very distinctive with its front porch supported by pillars. There is more about this building on another of these pages.
On the right hand side the first building is the Flannel Exchange. This was opened in 1832 to try to compete with the flannel market in Welshpool. Over the years it has been used for concerts, lectures, and court sessions. In more recent times it served as the Post Office and became the Scala cinema in 1920. In 1937 the building was altered to become the Regent cinema.

Back to Newtown picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Newtown menu
RDR