Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Montgomery and district
in Victorian times
  The centre of old Montgomery  

The picture on this page is surely the best known view of what has been called 'the perfect little town' of Montgomery.

Market Place
Market Place, Montgomery

The layout of the town is almost unchanged from its medieval Clock tower beginnings, and it has many well-preserved Georgian buildings and cobbled pavements.
The Town Hall, in the centre of this old picture postcard, was built in 1748. It is a very impressive building for such a small town, for it was once the county town of Montgomeryshire. A tall clock tower (right) was added to the roof in 1921.
Montgomery lies less than a mile from the border with England.

Back to Montgomery picture menu


Back to top
Go to Montgomery menu