Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Llanfyllin
in Victorian times
 
  A quiet day in Market Street  
 

Market Street in Llanfyllin was a close rival to High Street as a choice location for traders. In 1868 there were seventeen shops and other businesses here.
The street does not look very busy at the time of this photograph, though, which was probably taken around 1892.
The nearest building on the right is the Town Hall, which was completed in 1791. The ground floor was filled with stalls on market days, and there was a tiny jail below street level which was in use until about 1830.

Photograph by kind permission of the Powysland Club and the Llanfyllin and District Civic Society.
Market Street
Llanfyllin

around
1892
Market Street 1892
 

The corner building on the left was the Upper Boar Inn, which became a Temperance Hotel (no alcoholic drinks allowed !) at the end of the Victorian age in 1901.
The signboard further along Market Street on the left belonged to the White Lion, which was one of three 'Lions' in the town at one time - one red, one white, and one just a plain lion !

Back to Llanfyllin picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Llanfyllin menu
RDR