Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Crickhowell and district
in Victorian times
 
  High Street, Crickhowell  
 

This photograph is not very clear, but it was probably taken in the 1890s. It shows the view looking up High Street, Crickhowell towards the Bear Hotel.
The corner shop on the right was Jarrett's grocery business, which also seems to have been a drapers as well . This was not unusual in Victorian times - although it seems like a strange combination these days !

 
High Street
Crickhowell
around 1892
High Street
 

The building on the left with the large pillars is the Market Hall in the High Street. This building was given to the town by the Duke of Beaufort, and it was completed in 1834. In Victorian times there were iron railings in front of the pillars, as seen in this picture.

Back to Crickhowell picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Crickhowell menu
RDR