Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Crickhowell and district
in Victorian times
 
  The ruins of Crickhowell Castle  
 

This picture of the remains of Crickhowell Castle is an engraving on steel made in 1839 from a drawing by Henry Gastineau. He travelled widely in Wales and made paintings and drawings of views, mansions, bridges and castles.
This artist also produced the view of the town and the Usk Valley shown on another page in this series.

Romantic pictures of wild landscapes and ruined castles like this one were very popular in the early Victorian years.
Crickhowell
Castle ruins
in
1839
Crickhowell Castle ruins
 

The castle at Crickhowell was also known as Alisby's Castle, and like many ancient strongholds it was built on the site of a 12th century "motte and bailey". These were artificial earth mounds with timber stockades and buildings on top.
The castle was rebuilt in stone in 1272, but was left in ruins by the forces of Owain Glyndwr early in the 15th century.

Back to Crickhowell picture menu

 

Back to top
Go to Crickhowell menu
RDR