Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
         
Brecon and district
in Victorian times
 
  The River Usk and Christ College  
 

This early photograph is a view from the north bank of the River Usk at Brecon of the Llanfaes Bridge, with Christ College and Chapel beyond it.
The picture dates from around 1870, not long after the building of the new School House, and it is looking south towards the Brecon Beacons and Pen y Fan.

 
River Usk
and Christ
College
around
1870
Usk Bridge at Brecon
 

Christ College has been on the present site near the River Usk since 1541, when King Henry VIII dissolved an existing 300 year old monastery there and founded the school by royal charter.
The College buildings were in a very poor condition in the early Victorian years but were saved by a new Act of Parliament in 1855. This made possible investment in the new buildings seen in the photograph above, and gave the school a secure future.

Back to Brecon picture menu

 

Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Brecon menu
RDR