Victorian Powys for primary  schools
Powys Digital History Project
Brecon and district
in Victorian times
  The cottages on Priory Hill  

This photograph is taken from an old postcard of an attractive row of houses which once stood opposite the Priory church of St John the Evangelist in Brecon, now the cathedral.

Priory Cottages

These buildings, on Priory Hill on the road into the town from the north, were known as Priory Cottages. They were knocked down in the 1960s to allow the road to be widened to carry more traffic. (The 1960s were a very busy time for the people who knocked down old buildings !)
The wall of the Priory church, which became Brecon Cathedral in 1923, can be seen alongside the road on the left in this picture.
The buildings facing the bottom of the hill are in the Struet.

Back to Brecon picture menu


Link to sources
Back to top
Go to Brecon menu