Powys Digital History Project 

Some watermills of the Rhayader area
Gwynllyn Mill

  Uncertain origins 


County Archives

DETAIL FROM 1" MAPThe exact origins of the mill are unclear but local historian Bryan Lawrence discovered a lease in the papers of the Nantgwyllt estate which records "Gwinllyn Mill" was leased by to one Morgan Evans of Nantmel in 1795.
The map extract shown here, from the first edition one inch Ordnance Survey map of around 1838 (with the railway added later) features "Felin Gwynllyn".
Directories of 1850 and 1875 name the mill as "Upper Mill" (Upstream on Nant Gwynllyn from the Lower or
New Mill), with the occupiers or millers Mary Evans and Thomas Edwards respectively.

Photograph of
Gwynllyn Mill
taken in 1889
by J. Owen

By kind permission of
Mr Richard Tucker

old photo of Gwynllyn Mill
Gwynllyn corn mill stands close enough to Rhayader to be considered one of the towns mills. Although marked as disused on the 25" map of 1904 (see below) the current house on the site does not appear to incorporate anything of the mill except possibly its drying kiln. The mill buildings were of timber as can be seen in the above photograph.

Image based on
Ordnance Survey
25" map
(2nd edition, 1904)

County Archives

detail of 25" map