Powys Digital History Project

Maesllwch Castle 3
The family

  Origins and early years
The family claimed descent from a Norman lord, called de Wintona, whose lands were around Cowbridge. The surname became corrupted, over time, to Wilkins.
  Walter Wilkins (1741 - 1828) was the second son of John Wilkins, banker & solicitor of The Priory, Brecon. He made his fortune in India and was first Governor of the province of Chittagong. He was the first of a line of elder sons called Walter who owned Maesllwch. He was MP for Radnor (1796 - 1828), also a JP & High Sheriff. As a Whig, Walter Wilkins held relatively liberal views, and did not take part in the Enclosure movement. Indeed, he signed an appeal against the Nantmel enclosures in 1814.
  De Winton
His son Walter (1777 - 1831), born 6 years after the purchase of Maesllwch, commissioned the architect Lugar, but died, relatively young, before the work was completed. His son Walter Wilkins MP (1809 - 1840) was the one who resumed, by Royal Licence, the ancient surname of de Winton, on 6 July 1839. In the same month, he joined a deputation to Lord Melbourne (the Prime Minister) against the eviction of squatters from land sold by the Crown to local landowners, carrying on his grandfather’s work of safeguarding the interests of the poorest members of society.

Maesllwch after the additions of 1879

Powys County Archives 

Maesllwch in late 19th century
  Walter de Winton, as he was now known, died very young, as did his son Captain Walter de Winton (1832 - 1878), whose widow married the Deputy Lieutenant of Shropshire - Geoffrey R Clegg-Hill. The next Walter de Winton (1868 - 1935), had a son, also Walter, who died in 1914 - presumably in the 1st World War. The estate passed to the present Walter de Winton, who was the son of a younger brother; Gerald Frederick de Winton. 

Maesllwch Castle around 1900 based on the O.S. 25" map

Powys County Archives

plan of Maesllwch c.1900
  Use the continue button to view the pages in sequence or select from the menu page.